Kongobuji is located at Koyasan in Wakayama prefecture.
Kongobuji is the administrative head temple of Koyasan Shingon Buddhism.
The temple was founded in 816 by Kukai.
Originally the entire area of Koyasan was known as Kogobuji and there was no specific building by that name.
In 1593, Hideyoshi TOYOTOMI built Seiganji temple and Mokujiki OGO built Kozanji temple next to Seiganji temple.
The building now called Kongobuji was combined in 1869 from those two temples.
The temple contains beautiful screen paintings and Japan's largest rock garden, the Banryutei.
From Koyasan station of the Nankai Koya line, it takes about 10 minutes to Konobuji bus stop.
In front of the temple, there is a free parking spot. (Y.N)